Thursday, September 22, 2005

I Have A Dream...

So earlier today i heard about the closing of Good News Bookstore. i was sad when i heard about it because i remember going there as a toddler and youngster and going to the little knick knack section and looking at erasers and bookmarks and other little toys they had. Then as I got older, I would go there to buy cds. I kept stickers on the outside of them so i could get one free after buying 5. I actually still have two of the stickers in my wallet today. Then I became interested in books and i remember i had about $60 to spend and wanted a reference book. So i went to the reference book section, tried to recognize some names, and ended up buying this huge commentary of the whole Bible because it had Matthew Henry's name on it and i recognized that name. Then I moved into college and would go there when I was home to buy some good books, but that got harder and harder to do. Why? Because they simply weren't there.

I had to walk past displays of various D.C. Talk books, past Joel Osteen's face, past the Jabez collection, through the Purpose Driven series, around the Left Behind books, and then finally get to a growingly disappointing christian non-fiction section. I went to buy some books for my brother-in-law, and they didn't have J.C. Ryle's 'Thoughts for Young Men'. In fact, there was no J.C. Ryle to be found. I struggled to find a good version of Pilgrim's Progress, nevermind even bothering to find something by John Owens. It was then that I realized that Good News Bookstore was not the same Bookstore anymore. Then I found the "Biblezines" and got sick to my stomach. They were right next to the bathroom, so i guess they fell short of what should have been their intended destination.

So you may be asking what my dream would be... All day i've just been getting ideas about how awesome it would be to salvage that bookstore and make it useful again. I talked to my mom about how we should buy it and make it into a Mother-Son bookstore. I would model it somewhat after the mecca of bookstores out here, Archives. It would be Archives-East. I would get all the classics, stock up on useful reference tools and commentaries. I would provide work stations and reading stations for people to come in and read at. We could even have a little coffee bar, since that would be huge in that area of the country. We could have a little library section where for a small fee each year, people could check good books out if they could not afford to buy the books. We would network with local pastors to supply them with what they really needed. I would scower used book sales and the such and have a used book section that would rival Archive's used book section. Then we could use the upstairs section of Good News as a location for the Institute, to link up with them. We would advertise the classes to the people so we could get more people involved. We would offer reading groups to go through various books. We could provide reading lists for people bring their families through. We would communicate with the local Christian schools so we could provide the resources their students need at our bookstore.

But more significantly, we would be known for what we wouldn't have. We wouldn't carry Bible-zines, we wouldn't carry romantic Christian fiction, we wouldn't carry potpourrie, we wouldn't carry 'Testamints', we wouldn't carry anything authored by a Gaither, we wouldn't carry anything by a Hinn, a Crouch, a Tilton, a Jakes, or a Tammy Fay. We wouldn't carry anything with a TBN stamp on it. We wouldn't carry anything that would be psuedo Christian that would pass as Catholic, Mormon, or JW. We wouldn't carry bubblegum devotionals. We wouldn't carry anything I would be ashamed to have on my bookshelf.

We would work with the local pastors throughout northern Mass and new hampshire to provide a more personal, evangelical bookstore than CBD. We would provide an atmosphere where people could come and talk. We would provide a place where everyone would know your name, where we served the soul, heart, and the mind. We would help unite churches who stand on the same doctrines so pastors wouldn't seem to be on an island to themselves. We would provide a place where these pastors can send their sheep without fearing the wolves. We would provide an atmosphere where peoples hearts, souls, and minds are directed to God for His glory.

any ideas on what I could do with my dream?

13 Comments:

At 12:01 PM, Blogger Tim Costine said...

i got a couple more ideas.

we could provide the space for NSTM use the space and if they are in NH they could be accredited.

also, we could have people who come in regularly have mugs there for them to use, so they have some sense of personal ownership..

we could also provide the room on the side for some high schoolers to come in after school for a place to do homework and such.

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

Where do I sign up?

 
At 6:47 PM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

You could have a "recommendations by our staff" section with their favorite classsic Christian books. Part of my pics would include:
Anything by Piper or Ryle
New Testament History, F.F.Bruce
A Call to Spiritual Reformation,
D.A. Carson
Sketches of Jewish Social Life,
Alfred Edersheim
Chosen By God, R.S. Sproul
Knowing God, J.I. Packer
Eternal Security, Arthur Pink

And this year's favorites
(so far):
Love Your God with All Your Mind
J.P. Moreland
Spiritual Depression
D.Martin Lloyd-Jones
To the Golden Shore: Life of
Adoniram Judson
That's a good start!

 
At 8:10 AM, Blogger Beth said...

The problem is that you have instill a desire for "christians" to read those authors. Many Christians I have come accross lately are not interest in God, interested in doctrine, but are merely interested in what God can do for them. The only thing it seems people are able to discuss at Bible study is how the scripture applies to them rather than discussing what is says about the character of God and His plan for salvation, justification and santification.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Robb said...

I'm in!!
That would be incredible. I think I would end up living there. I'd be your main source of income :)
Please do it...

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger Tim Costine said...

well, part of our store could be a ministry to the local churches to encourage people reading. we would partner with local pastors to help provide them with good resources.

my mom and i talked about it yesterday and if for some fanciful reason it ended up happening, it'd have to start small. but with the connections i have through seminary and book buyers, i would already have some helpful connections. i don't know. part of me really wants it, but part of me realizes what a huge undertaking it would be. it would mean me not being involved in youth ministry like i thought i would, but it would still be a ministry that isn't really available in the whole region there now. I know of a couple good bookstores in this area, so maybe I could go and talk to them and just talk to them about it.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

I had Dean Mangum read your idea. He thought it was great, but that you would need to do it in an area with semanaries to feed you interested Christians. Our part of the world just doesn't have the population density needed. He saw a place like this in Conn., but that's the only place he knows of in NE that would meet your qualifications. And Beth is right. Even at FBC there is only a handful of people who apply themselves to reading at this level. The watered down best sellers are the favorites these days - and many of those are what I call "Christian Self-Help" with the focus on the believer, not God. But what a dream!

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Jen said...

SO, when are you moving back Tim? this is a GREAT idea! Really someone is going to end up doing this and you are going to say "hey that was my idea!!" I think that you would really have a great patronage. I know I would go with all my kids... imagine the books you could sell to them, of coure on Your mom's recommendation!!
Yeah, I would even buy a book or two. I am reading now that I am getting older! :)
Oh, and your Mom did mention that it was closing on Beths blog awhile ago, where were you in that conversation? OH, yeah welcome back to the blogs world Robb!
hey lookie there no more spam Tim, good job!!

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

I told Kathi your idea and she said to sign her up to make the coffee. ;) She could have oversight of the personal coffee mugs, too. And she's a great listener. That would be a valuable asset.

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Tim Costine said...

i thought of another thing that we could do. We could have a section dedicated to local authors, to give them a place to circulate their books. That way, when Dean actually sits down and writes a book, he could have somewhere to sell it!

 
At 11:48 AM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

Now that I have actually SEEN "Archives", I can't think of anything better to offer! BUT, just as the former used book store in Derry could only offer what was available, what people in the area were reading, you would not be able to have such a store here. We have no seminaries to feed the store. Cali has tons of seminaries. And you'll also notice that the used book store in Derry is no longer there - not enough people buying books.
I do like your idea about the coffee bar and comfy chairs. No matter what night I go to Barnes & Noble in Manchester, the place is PACKED! I can hardly find a parking place, never mind a comfy chair. But I don't think that crowd would be interested in the types of books you would offer.

Concerning the "local authors" section - when I visited the used bookstore near Beth, I noticed they had a special section of publications by Dartmouth authors, etc. I picked up one, in fact. I would never have heard of it otherwise.

 
At 5:05 AM, Blogger Jen said...

You never did actually say when you were coming back to do this! ;)

 
At 7:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a dream too, that you will die a horrible death

 

Post a Comment

<< Home