Friday, September 02, 2005

"I Am My Brother's Keeper" by Jeffrey & Craig Weiss



I finished this book awhile ago, but haven't said anything on it, so here are my thoughts. First of all, this book is one of the most amazing books when it comes to amazing story after amazing story. All the way through the book, i found myself stopping and telling Leah what I had just read simply because it was so unbelievable.

The book is about American and Canadian involvement with Israel during the War for Independence throughout 1947-49. It is the compilation of many interviews and recently declassified information, and takes the reader chronologically throughout the war, showing the amazing sacrifices people made to serve the cause they completely believed in. just some amazing amazing stories.
here are a couple of examples.

the man who was responsible for training the Rangers in the US military, Mickey marcus, and served the US in WWII. he convinced his superiors to send him to England to be a liason. While in England, he met up with the 101 Airborn and convinced someone to let him jump with them the day before D-Day. So he gets out there, and out of the thousands that jumped, only two had never jumped out of an airplane before, he was one of them. So he jumps and helps the platoon he's with, and leads one group to remove a key machine gun nest overlooking the beaches. By now, the department of defense finds out where he is and calls him back to the US. Mickey marcus went over to Israel to help organize the infant army and make them into a fighting machine. he lost his life in Israel.

there is another story of smuggling planes out of the US and trying to get them to Israel. These guys managed to get the planes out of the US when they started to get pressure. They convinced Panama that they were a forming airline company, so they gave them a piece of the airport to use. The government down there starts getting antsy that this company hasn't made any flight or started, so they figure their time there is coming to an end. they tell the government that they're going to take their five planes and try out different routes to Europe. Well, the government brings all of these diplomats and business persons out to see the launching of this great airline complany. the planes take off, and the last one turns around, waves to the crowd, and they never returned.

the book is absolutely jam packed with amazing stories and I could go on and on, but I can't. if you are at all interested in this subject, i reccommend this book to you!

3 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

Glad to hear you're carrying on that great family tradition of reading good parts to each other! I think it was you, Tim, who decided on a book for Dad one Christmas by imagining which one I would rather hear excerpts from. ;)
Btw, thanks for GIVING me this book a few years ago, even though I haven't read it yet. Did you take my copy back with you? [along with my FAVORITE fleece blanket? Hmmm?]

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Tim Costine said...

at least i asked you if i could take this book. i'll loan it to you if you want :) and i honestly don't remember giving it to you, and you buy enough books that i wouldn't be surprised if you did order it. if i did buy it for you, why didn't i read it?

 
At 5:28 PM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

You got it for me for Christmas the year before last, I think! I'm glad I didn't go looking for it to read after your great recommendation! It would have driven me crazy not to be able to find it! When the business moves out of the office (supposedly this month), I can add a tall bookshelf and have all the Bible commentaries in here, making room in the livingroom bookcase for a bunch of other books waiting for homes. [Oh - I got you a book that Mars Hill Audio recommended for all pastors: "The Making of the New Spirituality: The Eclipse of the Western Religious Tradition" by James Herrick. Will send.]

Oh - wonderful news! Greek II started today (tell Leah that Samantha says HI)and Dean is reviewing for the month of Sept. AND he started where I had left off in my review. How great is that!?! There are 6 of us in class. Oh, and tell Leah they are seriously looking into moving the school to FBC or Salem Bible starting THIS year, since most of the students are from NH now. Wouldn't it be great if they move to FBC...think of all those courses...sigh :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home