Friday, August 05, 2005

joel osteen

i don't know how many of you know, but Joel Osteen, of tele-evanglist fame, was recently on Larry King. In the interview Osteen says many startling things. King tries to get him to say that Jesus Christ is the only way, but he couldn't get himself to say it. he also said some other things that i much disliked. I'm not a fan at all of Osteen. I think his ministry is questionable and self serving. I think his message is wrong and misdirected. Many people have been taken by his nice appearance and gentlemanly personality. His smile can be seen in any bookstore within 5 seconds of walking in on the cover of his book 'Your Best Life Now' which should tell you about what his ministry is about. well, here's the transcript.

well, needless to say, the backlash from people who actually know and defend the gospel was severe. Here's his response.


here's teh big part:
OSTEEN: Yeah, I don't know. There's probably a balance between. I believe you have to know Christ. But I think that if you know Christ, if you're a believer in God, you're going to have some good works. I think it's a cop-out to say I'm a Christian but I don't ever do anything ...

KING: What if you're Jewish or Muslim, you don't accept Christ at all?

OSTEEN: You know, I'm very careful about saying who would and wouldn't go to heaven. I don't know ...

KING: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They're wrong, aren't they?

OSTEEN: Well, I don't know if I believe they're wrong. I believe here's what the Bible teaches and from the Christian faith this is what I believe. But I just think that only God with judge a person's heart. I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don't know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don't know. I've seen their sincerity. So I don't know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus.




KING: What is the prosperity gospel?

OSTEEN: I think the prosperity gospel in general is -- well I don't know. I hear it too. I don't know. I think what sometimes you see is it's just all about money. That's not what I believe. It's the attitude of your heart, and so you know, we believe -- but I do believe this, that God wants us to be blessed. He wants us to be able to send our kids to college, excel in our careers. But prosperity to me, Larry, is not just money, it's having health. What good is money if you don't have health?

8 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Ian said...

C'mon, leave poor old Joel and his boyish good looks alone....


Ok, seriously, this guy is nothing more than a motivational speaker. Christianity is nothing but his gimmick. I've watched a few of his sermons (if you can call them that)on TV, and I don't think I've once heard him read from that huge Bible that he has opened up on the pulpit. It hurts my heart to see his church (a converted indoor stadium, I think) full of people who never hear the word of God preached from their shepherd. Those quotes of his from Larry King Live are revealing.

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

I'm not familiar with him, but am now advised. With all his "I don't knows", his lack of commitment to the Word becomes obvious. But, I thought, he may be trying to avoid making a statement that would alienate many before they even had an opportunity to consider what he had to say. (This is called "Mom's ole Give 'em the Benefit of the Doubt"...it's right up there with "He's just shy.") BUT then I read the last few sentences. He hasn't a clue what the Bible is all about!

 
At 6:53 PM, Blogger Tim Costine said...

yeah, this guy is becoming one of the most visible faces in christianity. His book is a huge best seller and his little smiling face looks at you as you walk into any wal-mart or barnes and nobles, never mind a Christian 'book' store. unfortunately, he's having a bigger impact on the country than solid teachers are. it isn't that he's ignorant so much, but chooses not to say things so that he will be popular with a larger group.

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

I'm frequently amazed that people will spend the time needed to read a book - and choose a bad one. Sigh... The advantage, I suppose, is that you can probably read it in an afternoon and feel you have accomplished something. Tim, I'm glad you're letting us know what you're reading. I always appreciate your (and Beth's) comments and recommendations. I'm beginning to panic as Greek II approaches and I need to be refreshing Greek I, but I would rather be reading! ;)

 
At 10:19 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Sounds like King knows the gospel better than Osteen does.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger Tim Costine said...

he does because he always has MacArthur on because MacArthur just says the truth up front without squirming. when king wants a straight answer, he brings MacArthur or Mohler on.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

he has the wrong deffinition of prosparity. doesn't the bible talk about spiritial prosparity? or is he right about the money and health thing? I don't think he is.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger Tim Costine said...

good point anna, he claims the blessings of the old testament that were promised to Israel. the health and wealth gospel can be very successful because people like the idea of 'pray it and claim it'. but spiritual prosperity and eternal prosperity are the things promised to us.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home