Wednesday, August 31, 2005

faith and who its about

Matthew 17:14
14 When they came to the crowd, a man came to him, knelt before him, 15 and said, “Lord, have mercy on my son, because he is epileptic and suffers terribly, for he often falls into the fire and into the water. 16 I brought him to your disciples, but they were not able to heal him.” 17 Jesus answered, “You unbelieving and perverse generation! How much longer must I be with you? How much longer must I endure you? Bring him here to me.” 18 Then Jesus rebuked the demon and it came out of him, and the boy was healed from that moment. 19 Then the disciples came to Jesus privately and said, “Why couldn’t we cast it out?” 20 He told them, “It was because of your little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move; nothing will be impossible for you.”



last night at bible study we were going over a couple chapters in 'Spiritual Depression' by Martyn Lloyd Jones that were covering faith. here are a few things that got me thinking and encouraged me.

first of all, when Jesus said that if we had faith the size of a mustard seed, then mountains would be moved. now that has has always sort of perplexed me. but what we talked about last night really cleared it up. when we have faith in a situation that God is faithful and in control, it is our faith that brings us to God. It is not that we ourselves are empowered somehow to do great things within ourselves. It is that if we have even a small amount of faith, it is that faith that brings us to God, and THEN mountains can be moved.

in the church today, the gospel and the whole christian movement really has become man centered. I can picture many preaching through this passage and telling their congregation that they can move mountains and do great amazing things in God's name if they just have faith. but that isn't what it is about, it is about that small amount of faith that brings us to God and then He does amazing things.




then we talked over two episodes on the Sea of Galilee with the disciples. the first was when a storm was overtaking them and they woke Jesus up saying, 'Lord, don't you know we are perishing'. This got me thinking about what my reaction would be. I couldn't think of reacting in any other way. these were normal fishermen who were used to the Sea of Galilee, so the storm had to be great. My reaction would have been to go get Jesus. but what was wrong about what the disciples did? Jesus rebuked them for their lack of faith, so we know they went wrong somewhere. My conclusion was that they went to Christ with the wrong mindset.

Jones talked about three things to do in these times. the first was to stay calm, not to panic. the second is to remember God's promises, the third is to act on those promises. They could have come to jesus and said, look, we're doing everything we can, but we might need you to do one of those miracles.

The next story was when Peter walked out on the water. Now Jesus never asked him to come out onto the water, but he was eager to show Christ his faith. We were reminded here that often times our stregnth will be our weakness. Peter had faith to walk out there, but he went a bit too far with it, or as Steve said, not far enough.


in the end, God can do so much with us if we just show a little amount of faith. that doesn't mean that we are great, but it is that little amount of faith that brings us to God, who in Himself Power.

3 Comments:

At 1:47 PM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

I have always looked at that passage as demonstrating that it isn't how great your faith is, it's WHO your faith is in. Good comments.

I picked up this book cuz you mentioned you liked it and I think it's great! The third chapter concerning the importance of HOW we evangelize was a real eye-opener. (I think Beth & Steve Diem would like this.) I'm half way through and find it truly valuable.

Btw, you pulled a "Debi C." when you wrote "Paul walked out on the water". ;) I was speaking to a large group at a mother/daughter banquet years ago and said, "when Paul wrote I Peter", a slip of the tongue. Heather F. pointed it out to me after and I got quite a laugh out of it! Then I wondered if anyone had believed me!!

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Beth said...

Nice insight on the faith as a mustard seed- our faith is small God is what is large.

We are studying James now, and last week it hit me that not only is faith that has works a saving faith- but also how works strengthens your faith. So if we are struggling with our faith- of course first pray- then work.

It was also interesting how James does not equate faith with believe- I still need to do a word study on this so don't tell me!

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger BethsMomToo said...

I just got to those chapters. I liked how Lloyd-Jones said Peter's problem was that he took his eyes off of Christ and looked at the troubled waters. That's so easy to do in a crisis. Good point! I also liked how he pointed out that "joy" and "happiness" are not the same thing. We are not always happy, but we can be joyful in the Lord.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home